While the idea presented here for a glow-in-the-dark party may be too risqué for some party guests, it is simple to modify so that it is acceptable to any group of people. It is necessary to present it properly to invitees so that fully understand how to dress and use the correct make-up.
Send your guests an e-invitation or one by standard mail. Explain in a few short sentences how a glow-in-the-dark party works:
- Guests dress in white, recently bleached clothing. This is an opportunity for guests to show off by wearing as little—bare skin doesn’t show in the black lighting--or as tight of clothing as they wish. The black lighting creates a purplish glow that shades everything but the clothing worn by the guest, which will glow brightly in the dim light. The glowing clothing emphasizes whatever area the guests want to highlight while obscuring the rest of the body.
- Each guest should use glow-in-the-dark make-up to further hide their identity. Glow-in-the-dark make-up is available from party stores or on-line. Some quick ideas include tightly wrapping the hair in a white cloth and then applying exaggerated make-up around the eyes, nose and mouth, either sexy or frightening in nature. The glowing skull and facial make-up combine for an effective and interesting disguise.
- At the end of the party, guests walk across the front of the room and the group tries to identify them by what they are wearing, with prizes going to the most interesting clothing style.
The host must be prepared with:
- A black light lamp fixture, which is affordable and available at party stores, online or at lighting stores. Screw in additional black light bulbs into all available outlets in the rooms in which the party takes place.
- Tightly cover all windows and doorways in the room where light may enter.
- Make signs directing guests to the restroom by dipping a brush in chlorine bleach and using it to draw an arrow on black construction paper with the word restroom printed underneath. Tape the sign to the wall in the appropriate location.
This party is unusual and enjoyable, have fun!